Sunday, October 29, 2017

Shrimp Far Diavolo!

In my book Torn Away, there's a scene where Sam makes dinner for Drew. I wanted to have a dish that wasn't hard to make, yet was really good and spoke to their relationship a little. Somehow, I got it in my head to use Shrimp Fra Diavolo. Only problem was, I'd never made it. So I looked up a few recipes and decided I'd have to try it. Of course, I don't follow anyone else's recipe to a T, but rather add my own flair.

My first attempt, my wife wasn't to keen on trying it so she had me make her shrimp cocktail style, but she tried mine and loved it. Since then, she's decided it's one of her favorite dishes that I make.

Below is the recipe as I make it.

 Shrimp Fra Diavolo
2 bags raw shrimp
4 cloves garlic
4-5 tbs extra virgin olive oil
Sprinkling sea salt
1 bottle white cooking wine
2 lg cans Hunts diced tomatoes
1 tbs parsley
1 tbs oregano
½ - 1 tbs cayenne pepper (to taste)
1 box angel hair pasta

1) Peel shrimp (2 bags)
2) Dice 4 cloves of garlic
3) In Dutch oven, cover bottom with extra virgin olive oil and sea salt
4) Add shrimp and use wooden spoon to turn cool shrimp until it starts to turn pink, remove and put in bowl. Put bowl in fridge. (Shrimp should be undercooked
5) Lower heat quickly and add garlic, use wooden spoon to mix with juices and add sea salt to taste
6) Dump in 2 large cans of diced tomatoes
7) Add 1 bottle of cooking white wine, or two small bottles from liquor store
8) Add a tablespoon of parsley, a table spoon of oregano, and either red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper (To taste, usually a little less for the cayenne, probably ½ a tablespoon for this amount)
9) Let sauce cook for 20 minutes or more
10) Make angel hair pasta
11) When ready to eat, put heat up, add shrimp for 2 minutes, and then add pasta, mixing well.
12) Serve with plenty of water. No, more water than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A short take on my short stories

              A few months ago, I took a class called Fiction Workshop that required us to write a short story. Short stories have never rea...