Sunday, October 29, 2017

Dedication in Torn Away

I wanted to share the dedication that's in Torn Away, coming 11-01-17

Dedication

     Writing this book made me think about how important being connected to family can be, and in the early stages, I had the chance to reconnect with several members of my own.
      Many years ago, when becoming an author was nothing more than a dream, there was an argument within my family. While I was only a witness to the dispute as I was a kid, the actions of the adults in my life affected me greatly. I lost all contact with my aunts, uncles, and all of my cousins from one side of the family. This was before the age of the internet when contact could have easily been maintained on social media sites.
     Decades later, my cousin Marcus found me through one of these social media sites. It was amazing talking to everyone, even if I felt a little like a kid who had just found out his face had been on the side of a milk carton for years. Since then, I’ve had several wonderful conversations with many relatives that were torn away from me at an early age.
     First off, thank you to Marcus for finding me! And a special shout out to Gina for those great phone calls.
   
I want to dedicate Torn Away to those family members, in particular to my three aunts that I’ve been able to reconnect with. I can’t tell you how much it means to have you back in my life. Maria, Anna, and Che Che!!! I love you all so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A short take on my short stories

              A few months ago, I took a class called Fiction Workshop that required us to write a short story. Short stories have never rea...